A Treatment Guide for Breast Cancer
Rosalind Benedet, N.P., Mark Rounsaville, M.D.
Is Lumpectomy an Option for You?
If you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer, your mind is probably filled with questions about treatment. Perhaps you’ve heard about lumpectomy, but you question whether it’s the best treatment for you.
You’re not alone. Many women ask the same question. For decades, mastectomy has been the surgery of choice. But, recent research shows that lumpectomy combined with radiation, is as safe and effective as mastectomy for invasive breast cancer.
Oncology nurse Rosalind Benedet and radiation oncologist Mark Rounsaville, M.D., have worked with hundreds of breast cancer patients, and understand your concerns. In Understanding Lumpectomy, they draw from years of experience to answer your many questions. Among the topics they cover:
- How breast cancer is diagnosed and stage
- Understanding when lumpectomy is an option
- How a lumpectomy procedure is performed
- Radiation therapy—how it works and what to expect
- When chemotherapy or hormonal therapy is needed
- Coping emotionally
- Exercises to regain arm mobility
- Preventing lymphedema–arm swelling
- Optimum nutrition for healing
Small Press Bestseller 2005—Library Journal