A Guide to Understanding Your Operation
Paul Ruggieri, M.D.
If you are scheduled for surgery, you join nearly 25 million Americans who undergo some form of surgical procedure annually. Like most patients, you’re probably a little anxious. And like many, you may not be as informed as you could be. In The Surgery Handbook, Dr. Paul Ruggieri, a board-certified surgeon, covers a variety of topics that will help you become an informed consumer. For example, you may not know that half of all post-surgical pain is undertreated; knowing this, you can set up a pain control plan with your doctor.
Having worked with thousands of patients, Dr. Ruggieri understands the peace of mind that comes with being an informed patient. He covers such topics as:
- What questions should you ask your surgeon before surgery?
- What do doctors learn from various preoperative lab tests?
- Why is 50 percent of all post-surgical pain undertreated?
- How can you ensure your pain is adequately managed?
- What are the types of anesthesia and their effects?
- What are the most common complications of surgery?
- How can you best prepare for recovery at home?
Become an informed patient before entering the operating room!
NOTE: This title is Out-of-Print and no longer available.