A Patient’s Guide to Treatment
William Lydiatt, M.D., Perry Johnson, M.D.
Do You Have Questions about Mouth and Throat Cancers?
If you have been diagnosed with cancer of the mouth and throat, you are most likely frightened and worried. And, you probably have pressing questions about the cancer you have and the course of treatment you’ll need.
Authors William Lydiatt, M.D., and Perry Johnson, M.D., have worked with thousands of mouth and throat cancer patients. They understand the emotional turmoil patients and their families go through after a cancer diagnosis, and they know how being informed can relieve some of that stress. They offer answers to many questions in Cancers of the Mouth and Throat.
Among topics they cover:
- How early detection leads to high cure rates
- Symptoms that could mean cancer
- The emotional side of cancer: the roller coaster
- How doctors make a diagnosis
- Staging the cancer and why it is so important
- Surgery, radiation, chemotherapy…how they kill cancer cells
- Reconstructive surgery
- Experimental treatments through clinical trials
Book also features poetry from Pulitzer Prize winner and former Poet Laureate of the United States, Ted Kooser.
Nebraska poet Ted Kooser, who was named Poet Laureate of the United States (2004-2005), contributed four of his poems to Cancers of the Mouth and Throat. Kooser has written several collections of poetry; he won the Pulitzer Prize in 2004 for his poem Delights & Shadows
A Valuable Resource for Patients and Families!