For Most Women, Having a New Baby is a Joy,
...for many new
mothers it's also a time of confusion and despair. Few anticipate having
postpartum depression or anxiety, yet 400,000 women suffer from it annually. In
fact, it's the most common complication of pregnancy.
Author Linda Sebastian is
a psychiatric nurse who understands postpartum disorders. Not only did she
experience postpartum anxiety as a new mother, she has since worked with
hundreds of women who have suffered from postpartum disorders. In Overcoming
Postpartum Depression and Anxiety, Ms. Sebastian provides a comprehensive
guide to recognizing and treating mood and anxiety problems that can be an
unexpected part of giving birth.
Among the topics
Ms. Sebastian covers:
- Who is at risk for postpartum depression
- Symptoms and causes of postpartum depression and anxiety
- Effects on the baby and family members
- Why so many women are caught off guard by these disorders
- Why health professionals are unprepared
- Options for mental health treatments and medications
- Advise for fathers and family members
Bibliography, index, resource section
A Quick-reference Guide to Help Relieve
the Distress of Postpartum Disorders!